Monday, March 9, 2009

doll quilt swap and other projects.



i recently joined a flickr group called 'doll quilt swap' on a whim, and it just happened that a few days after i joined they announced their 6th group swap. what timing! i joined up and a few days later was given a secret partner who i will be making a doll quilt for. i found so much inspiration in my partners own pictures and favorited pictures, as well as their blog. as i started to wrap my brain around the prject - i found this image which has become my main source of inspiration.



i immediately started digging through my fabric looking for colors and print that would relate to this image but also would suit my partner. i ended up with two solid cottons in moss and teal as well as a raspberry pink print that looks like sprinkles and a new print from jay mccarroll's garden collection.

i have also had my nose buried in kaffe fassett's glorious patchwork and have taught myself how to paper piece. ATTENTION: if you have never tried this method but have the desire to - DO IT NOW! i can't believe how rewarding paper piecing is - and how quick and easy to boot!





flip it over and... tadaaaahhh!...



the above block was my first little test with paper piecing and below is my progress so far with the doll quilt. i hope the colors are right...



i am just a few seams away from finishing the last five blocks, then i will have a better sense of the color situation. i am nervous to rip the paper out, will someone come hold my hand for that step?

No comments: